Ministerial Credentials

Minnesota Statute 517.05 states in part:

Ministers of any religious denomination, before they are authorized to solemnize a marriage, shall file a copy of their credentials of license or ordination with a County in this state who shall record the same and give a certificate thereof. The place where the credentials are recorded shall be endorsed upon and recorded with each certificate of marriage granted by a minister.

The fee for recording Ministerial Credentials is $20.00 payable to the Sibley County Recorder. Original license has to be presented to Recorder’s Office for recording.

Ministerial Credentials need only to be recorded once in the State of Minnesota. They do not need to be recorded in each county where a marriage may take place. Any fact of marriage received without a statement as to what county in Minnesota the credentials are recorded in will not be accepted