Obtain Certified Copies
To obtain a Certified Copy of a Minnesota Death Certificate:
- If the person died in Minnesota between January 1, 1997 to the present, that death certificate is on a statewide vital statistics system through the Minnesota Department of Health.
- If that person died before January 1, 1997 you will need to obtain a certified copy from the county in which they died or the county where they resided at the time of the death.
Obtain In Person
To obtain a certified copy in person:
- You may appear in person at any Vital Statistics Department in any County in the State of Minnesota. You may call the facility to make sure your name is on the State Vital Statistics System.
- When you arrive you will need to complete a Tangible Interest Form and present valid identification such as your driver's license.
- The fee will be $13 for the first certificate and $6 for each additional certificate requested for the same record.
- See Tangible Interest Form for persons eligible to obtain a death certificate. This person must appear in person with valid identification.
Obtain by Mail
To obtain a certified copy by mail:
- You must complete a Tangible Interest Form and sign the form in front of a Notary Public. You will need to show the Notary Public a valid identification such as a driver's license.
- Send $13 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy requested for the same record. Make check payable to Sibley County Recorder.
- Send the completed Tangible Interest Form and correct dollar amount to the address listed on the bottom of the Tangible Interest Form.
Obtain Non-Certified Copy
To obtain a Non-Certified Copy of a Death Certificate:
For a death occurring before January 1, 1997:
- Send us the name, date of death and place of death.
- Make a $13 check payable to Sibley County Recorder.
- Send information and check to:
Sibley County Recorder
400 Court Avenue
P.O. Box 44
Gaylord, MN 55334